We all look forward to summer for those long-awaited vacations – relaxing on the beach or visiting fun destination spots. For families with kids, though, there’s one more hurdle you have to get over before you can truly enjoy the time away: the hours-long car trip to reach your destination.
To make things more enjoyable (and maybe even fun), check out these tips and suggestions for keeping your trip safe and entertaining for everyone.
Car Safety Tips
- Before you leave, it’s always a good idea to get your oil changed if you have done it recently. You’ll be putting a lot of miles on your car and want to make sure it’s running as efficiently as possible.
- Check your tire tread for wear and make sure they’re inflated to the recommended level.
- Make sure car seats are properly installed. If you feel like there may be something wrong, read more on common car seat installation mistakes here.
- Make sure everything you packed is secure in the trunk and not blocking the rear window.
- Put together a small first aid kit to keep in the car for minor emergencies.
Keeping Kids Happy and Busy
- Pack small snacks and plenty of water – just be careful to watch the water intake because too much of a good thing can lead to way too many bathroom stops!
- If you have a DVD player, bring a variety of movies that everyone can enjoy. Pick up a bunch of new ones from your local library so the kids can watch ones they haven’t already seen over and over.
- Bring small pillows and blankets so everyone stays comfortable and can take short naps if needed.
- Look up fun car games online or pick up a few travel-sized games before you leave. You can even make your own little goodie bags from dollar store toys to hand out throughout the trip as rewards or prizes.
If you’re taking a long car trip this summer, come by our Sedalia Auto Repair and Care Center at Bryant Motors so we can make sure your vehicle is safe and vacation ready!
For more information, read: Tips on Preparing Your Vehicle’s AC for the Summer.