We all hope for the best when we are scooting all over Sedalia and other cities in Missouri or going on a trip. Being prepared is the name of the game. You never know what can happen when you are on the road.
Could you possibly have a break down in a remote area where there is no cell service?
Are you in an ice storm where you are in a standstill for hours?
Did you do the unthinkable and run out of gas?
Because of the unknown, it is vital to have an emergency stash kit in your vehicle at all times!
Even if you are a member with an emergency service, you never know when your cell phone may not work to contact them or how long it may take for them to get there. Also, a kit is necessary whether you have an old or a new car. Emergencies can happen in any type and age of car and at any time.
Below are suggestions of what to include in this invaluable kit.
- Always have a cell phone and car charger with you at all times. This may seem like a no brainer, but when you break down and you are without one, you will wish this had been at the top of the list.
- Always have bottled water with you. After speaking with a friend who was stuck on the highway in an ice storm for 10 hours with no water, and hearing how thirsty she was, I will never go without water in my car again. Also, if your car runs hot, you can use this.
- A first aid kit. This is essential if you are on the road and get a serious cut or some other injury.
- Non-perishable snacks for kids and pets. In a breakdown, you never know how long you could be without food so having that for nourishment is essential.
- A container to use in case you need to go to the bathroom. May sound gross but if you have nowhere to go and it is an emergency, you will be glad you brought it!
- Paper towels and toilet paper! No explanation needed!
- Jumper cables and a tool kit with essentials such as a screwdriver and hammer.
- In the winter months, please keep an extra change of clothes in case yours were to get wet.
- Also, in winter, an ice scraper and snow shovel.
- Extra blankets! You don’t want to freeze to death on the side of a road!
- Fire extinguisher – hopefully you will never need this!
- Last but not least, a flashlight with extra batteries!
We hope that we are never in need of these items when we are on the road but if you are….you will be prepared. For more detailed information on car emergency essentials, read this article from Consumer Reports.
For more information about this and other vehicle-related issues, please continue to browse our blog. In addition, if you’re in the market for a vehicle, we would love to be of service to you! To learn more about new or pre-owned car sales in the Whiteman AFB and Warrensburg area, contact us at 660-826-2700 or come on down to our lot at 2901 S. Limit (US Hwy 65) in Sedalia today.