A cracked windshield can be a major nuisance or a minor annoyance for a driver. Whatever the case may be, car experts and police officers agree that it’s dangerous to continue to drive an automobile with a cracked windshield.
While you may think that the crack is merely a minor cosmetic issue, it can cause many more issues than you realize. Airborne rocks, airborne debris and weakened glass are three main causes of these aggravating cracks.
Below are several reasons why it is necessary to have your car’s broken windshield repaired:
- A windshield plays a very important role in the integral support structure of the vehicle. If you are involved in an accident and your windshield was cracked, it will not be as effective in keeping the roof from caving in.
- A cracked windshield can shatter during a small fender bender causing significant damage to passengers.
- A cracked windshield can also shatter during dramatic temperature changes due to the expansion of the glass.
- The windshield serves as a back support to your airbag. When an accident occurs, the airbag compresses against the glass before protecting the passenger. A cracked windshield may not offer the support for the airbag, causing the glass to shatter.
- The windshield offers additional support aside from a seatbelt. It is another mechanism to protect you from being thrown from the vehicle during an accident.
Clearly, a cracked windshield should be fixed immediately in order to keep you and your passengers as safe as possible. If you live in Jefferson City, Marshall, Whiteman AFB, or any other surrounding areas, stop by Bryant Motors at 2901 South Limit Ave. in Sedalia and let our skilled service department repair your windshield and take care of any other car service issues you may have.