Good news for those who love off-roading in their Jeep Wrangler: a stronger and more durable windshield may be coming your way!
Jeep is reportedly offering new windshields created with Gorilla Glass on front-facing windows for the Wrangler and Gladiator models.
According to reports, Jeep expects that 80 percent of those looking to buy a Wrangler or Gladiator are likely to opt-in to this upgraded glass.
What is Gorilla Glass?
You may be thinking that the phrase “Gorilla Glass” sounds familiar. While it doesn’t have much to do with the ape from King Kong or even the similar-sounding company Gorilla Glue, Gorilla Glass may be closer to home than you think. In fact, you might even have some Gorilla Glass in your cell phone!
Gorilla Glass is a brand created by the company Corning that chemically strengthens glass to create cell phone screens that are thin, lightweight and durable. Phones with Gorilla Glass can withstand drops as high as 5 feet or more. If you own a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, then you have Gorilla Glass installed on your phone screen.
Why not get a Jeep Wrangler to match?
With Gorilla Glass, Wrangler and Gladiator windshields would use the same technology as is used in those cell phones, resulting in a thin, strong and crack-resistant glass for all of your off-roading adventures.
Gorilla Glass essentially has 2 layers:
- An inner layer that is chemically treated to increase its density, and
- An outer layer that is 52 percent thicker to protect from chips and cracks.
Gorilla Glass technology makes these windshields 3 times stronger than a standard Jeep windshield, so they are able to withstand triple the impact as compared to your regular windshield.
Pros and cons of installing Gorilla Glass on your Jeep
Of course, there are always positives and negatives to any new product. So, let’s go through them together:
✔ Higher impact resistance
✔ Stronger windshield for off-roading
✔ Defends against sharp impact cracks created by small sharp stones
✔ Protects from blunt impact damage, like those made by small rounded rocks
✔ Withstands impact from larger objects, like hail, which can cause biaxial flexure fractures
Thinner and lighter than standard auto glass
✘ More expensive to buy with a new Jeep or to replace your current windshield. Though reports state that the upgraded glass is only $95, it’s an extra cost on top of replacing your current windshield and will likely be more than that.
✘ Only available for Gladiators and Wranglers, though this could change in the future
Whether you think you might upgrade your windshield or not, it’s important to be aware of the current state of your windshield and look out for any cracks or chips. A cracked windshield is not only a nuisance, but it can even be potentially dangerous. It can ruin a fun round of off-roading in an instant.
Most common causes of damage to a windshield
There are many reasons why you may suddenly find some damage on your windshield, including the following:
- Rocks, road debris and small objects can create chips in your windshield upon impact.
- Severe climate changes and harsh temperatures can cause cracks in your windshield as glass warms and contracts.
- Incorrect installation such as if your windshield was installed too loose can vibrate while you’re driving and crack the glass.
- Changes in pressure as you drive, such as going at an extremely high speed, could cause a crack in your windshield.
- Poor glass quality can be more susceptible to damage over time.
Preventing damage to your windshield
To reduce the risk of a cracked windshield, keep these tips in mind:
- Keep your distance behind larger vehicles that may churn up rocks and debris on the road.
- Park your car in a climate-controlled environment, if possible.
- Have your automotive care and repair handled by professionals.
- Install higher quality glass that may be less likely to need a replacement in the future and can protect you from potential impact to your windshield.
- Always drive safely and be aware of any changes in your windshield before they get worse.
Why fix or replace a damaged or cracked windshield
It’s always important to get a cracked windshield repaired sooner rather than later. Chips in your windshield can deepen and lengthen across your entire windshield, turning into a spiderweb crack. This could become dangerous and keep you from seeing the road properly as cracks increase. After windshields sustain a certain amount of damage, they weaken and lose their ability to withstand additional impacts.
If you need repair or maintenance done on your vehicle, come see the Bryant Motors service department. Our skilled ASE-certified technicians would be happy to take a look at your car, no matter the make or model!
And if you’re looking to buy a new or used Jeep and/or inquire about installing Gorilla Glass when it becomes available, contact us or stop by our Sedalia, MO dealership at 2901 South Limit Ave.