ASE-certified technicians at Sedalia’s Bryant Motors offer expert auto advice on providing some DIY maintenance your vehicle’s air conditioning system.
The sweltering Missouri heat can be unbearable in the summer months. When you are in your vehicle headed to work, school or somewhere for pleasure, the last thing you want is to show up with sweat stains. Testing your vehicle’s air conditioner should not be something you wait to do on a 90-degree day. Rather, in early spring, you should make certain that your car’s cooling system is running correctly.
There are a variety of issues that can crop up in a vehicle’s air conditioning system. Often the defect is minor, but every once in a while the problem is major. Some of the most common problems that occur are when a car is not blowing out cold air, there is a rattling noise, or the air smells musty and stale.
Below are some excellent tips for making sure air conditioning system is up to the task of keeping you cool this summer.
- Test the fan speeds to make certain they are all working – from low to medium to high.
- Turn the AC on the coldest setting and make sure all vents are blowing. If only the passenger vents are blowing cool air, it won’t do much good for you as the driver.
- If you smell a foul odor, it could mean there is bacteria or mold growing in your system and your vehicle should be checked out by one of our Bryant Motors auto AC specialists.
- Check to see when the last time your air filter has been changed. It is suggested that your air filter be changed every 12,000 miles or so due to dust and debris that can get in there and clog up your system.
- Listen for any noise or rattling under the hood. If you hear something, it could mean there is something broken or loose and should be checked out.
- Make sure your system has no leaks. Rubber seals and hoses can lose elasticity and crack, causing Freon to escape and moisture to get inside your air conditioning system.
At Sedalia’s Bryant Motors, we can run an air conditioner test today to make certain that your system won’t break down tomorrow. We want you to ride in comfort! Bring your ride down to our Sedalia Service Center and let our experts inspect your car, truck or SUV. We take ALL makes and models.
For more information regarding other ways to make certain that your vehicle is working properly, read: Radiator Flush 101.